Cantrell Members: Have you had a Follow up lately?
As a member of the Cantrell Wellness Center, you have the option to meet with a trainer periodically for what we call a “follow up appointment” to check vitals and certain measurements to see how your progress is going. Remember when you joined and had your consultation? The trainer checked your weight, body fat percentage and BMI, heart rate, oxygen saturation and blood pressure. During a follow up, the trainer will reassess each of those numbers and compare to the previous numbers. And dependent on the results, the trainer will give appropriate feedback or suggestions. Why do we check those specific things? Each of those measurements gives us a general idea of how a person is doing physically.
- Weight: We check this as a baseline measurement at the consultation and then at each follow up.
- Blood pressure: the average blood pressure (BP) should be around 120/80, but this will vary from person to person. Keeping a regular check of your blood pressure can help you see one aspect of progress. Typically, as one becomes more physically fit, the heart becomes stronger and beats more efficiently which in turn can help lower your blood pressure.
- Heart Rate: An average resting heart should be 60-80 beats per minute. This will fluctuate throughout the day depending on your activity. Again, as you become more physically fit, this helps to strengthen your heart. Because of that, heart rate may decrease showing improvement in how that muscle works.
- Oxygen Saturation: This number tells how well oxygen is getting distributed through your body. In healthy individuals, this number should be in the 90’s but more preferably 95-100. As you become more physically fit, circulation increases as your heart is stronger and able to pump more efficiently, thus increasing your body’s ability to use the oxygen you are taking in.
- Body fat percentage/BMI: Body fat percentage (BF%) and Body Mass Index(BMI) are two different things. We check these with an Omron hand held machine. BF% will change and decrease as you build more lean muscle and burn fat. BMI is a weight to height ratio that will increase when weight goes up or decrease when weight goes down.
So if you can’t remember when your last follow up was or you’ve never had one at all, call 478-333-6777 or stop by the Front Desk to schedule one today!
Or if you aren’t a Cantrell Wellness member and are interested in joining, we offer first-time, local visitors 2 Free Visits! Stop by the Front Desk for more information or for a tour of our facility!
About the Author
Jessie Tanner has been with the Cantrell Center since 2006. She joined the Cantrell Wellness Center team shortly after graduation from Georgia College and State University (GCSU) with a degree in Exercise Science. Since being here, she has worked with many, many wellness members through personal training, indoor cycling class, abs class, boot camp, the Cantrell Center 5K, consultations, and follow-ups, and more!